Friday, December 21, 2018

Tis The Season For Christmas Reading


Well, my dears, it is once again that time of year.  


And I couldn't be more excited! 


For me, this time of year means off of school and work, leaving plenty of time for baking Christmas cookies, shopping, decorating, and all sorts of things that I haven't been able to much of during the year.  Along with the knitting, romping outside, and jamming to Christmas tunes, there (of course) is Christmas reading! 


There are a whole smorgasbord of great Christmas books out there, but it can be a little overwhelming to decide what books to read when there are such a vast number to choose from. 
So, I thought I'd share with y'all some of my personal favorites and those I have grown up hearing. 
That said, this isn't a complete list, but just a few I thought I'd share. ;) 


o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o

The Best of Christmas In My Heart 
~ compiled and edited by Joe Wheeler 


This book is full of a collection of charming little Christmas stories. This is a great book to be read aloud to children, and I have many a fond recollections of listening to this book. 

The Candle in The Forest And Other Christmas Stories Children Love
~compiled and edited by Joe Wheeler



This book has one of my all-time favorite childhood Christmas story. "Candle in The Forest"  by Temple Bailey. 

Short Synopsis: 
" Oh, who could be unhappy at Christmas with a mommy and daddy who loved each other, Pussy-purr-up, Hickory-Dickory-Dock, and onions that would be silver? But was there to be no happiness for the boy-next-door?"

An excerpt: 
"The small girl's mother was saying, "The onions will be silver, and the carrots will be gold--" 
"And the potatoes will be ivory," said the small girl, and they laughed together. The small girl's mother had a big white bowl in her lap, and she was cutting vegetables. The onions were the hardest, because she cried over them.
"But our tears will be pearls," said the small girl's mother, and they laughed at that and dried their eyes and found the carrots much easier, and the potatoes easiest of all." 

I absolutely love this story, and the simple charm of the story makes it a favorite into my adult years, and one that I will most likely read to my children someday. 

One Wintry Night
~ by Ruth Bell Graham
Illustrated by Richard Jesse Watson


This is a story of a young mountain boy who gets caught in a blizzard and finds his way to a cabin his grandfather built. The woman who lives there takes him in, and nurses his wounded ankle. While the blizzard rages and his ankle heals, the woman tells him the story of creation to the cross. 
The book is beautifully illustrated, and I would highly recommend it. :)





The Max Lucado Christmas Collection


"An Angel's Story" tells the birth of Christ through the angels' point of view. 
"The Christmas Candle" is about the miracles that can happen through prayer. 
"The Christmas Child" is about an adopted man who is on a journey to Texas to find his biological family. 
There is also a movie on this story: 



Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury


I love these stories, and highly enjoy reading them each year. Louisa May Alcott has a simple grace in which she writes her stories, and she has masterfully woven together heart-warming characters to draw you into the world in which they live. 
I would highly recommend giving these stories a read at some point. :)

~~~~Stories For Advent~~~~~

Jotham's Journey
~by Arnold Ytreeide

Bartholomew's Passage
~by Arnold Ytreeide

Tabitha's Travels
~by Arnold Ytreeide 

Each of these stories follow the lives of a child living in Israel and the adventures they encounter leading up to the birth of Christ. The books have a chapter to be read everyday throughout December until Christmas.  (Meaning that the three books will take you through 3 Christmases.)
Great family advent books filled with faith and suspense to take you through the Christmas season!

Unwrapping The Greatest Gift 
~By Ann Voskamp 

Yet another advent book, with a section to be read everyday in December-- the last being read on Christmas day. 
This book is beautifully illustrated, and is a fun way to celebrate advent and remember that the greatest gift is God's gift to us in a tiny stable one starry night in Bethlehem.    




That's it! 

Hope you all have enjoyed reading!

What are some of your favorite Christmas books?

Pooh Bear because Pooh Bear is happy :D

5 comments:

  1. One Wintry Night does have such gorgeous illustrations! Thanks for including some of the pictures, it was nice to see them again. ;D

    And the Arnold Ytreeide books -- I remember the days. I don't think we ever read Tabitha's Travels, though! Which one is your favorite? :)

    I'll have to keep an eye out for that Louisa May Alcott book. ;D

    Merry Christmas!!! :D <3

    (Pooh Bear is SO happy. <3 I totally stole that gif. ;D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they though! That dude has some serious talent.
    Hmm...It's been awhile since I've read them...so I'm not sure...I remember really liking the Jotham book, though.
    Merry Christmas to you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas books are fun! Although I don't read as many as I should around this time year! :)
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are great! :) ( although,tbh, I haven’t read that many as of yet this year either....but hoping to remedy that soon!)
    Thanks for reading, Brooklyne!
    Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas books are such fun! :D I actually don't think I've read any of these yet... I'll have to look into them! :)
    A favorite Christmas book that comes to mind for me is Cranberry Christmas by Wende and Harry Devlin. :)

    Lovely post, Christina, and Merry Christmas!! :D (Also, that Pooh gif is great. XD)

    ReplyDelete